Author: Kelly Creagh
Publisher: Atheneum /Simon & Schuster
Genre: Gothic / Paranormal / Romance
Release: August 28th 2012
Source: Simon & Schuster Canada
Buy the Book at: Book Depository / Chapters Indigo
True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.
While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen's nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.
But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe's presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen's innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.
When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary-one who also happens to be her greatest love.
An Uncanny, Dark and Addictive Read
It's been two months since Varen vanished from the real world. Now, while prisoner of the dreamworld, Isobel is desperately trying to keep her promise of finding him again. While getting access to the dreamworld is not an easy task, Isobel hopes that the appearance of the mysterious Reynolds on Poe's grave will open a door between world and thus, a way for her to get to Varen again.
The publication date for Enshadowed (Nevermore#2) was pushed two times if I remember well. It was very frustrating considering how much I loved Nevermore. So waiting for this book to come out was not only a long wait, but also a torture. Yet, Ms. Creagh took her time and thanks lord she did because the result of the delays really pays-off!
Enshadowed 's vividly imagined cryptic world and bewitching plot kept me reading late into the night. No need to mention that the macabre and sinister atmosphere helped a lot in keeping me awake (and chilled to the bone). Now, here are just some reasons why you should definitely read this book.
- Nevermore and Enshadowed are very original works of YA lit. I have read hundreds of YA books and this one stands out because is different.
- The plot is wonderfully developed. Absolutely gripping and captivating. There was no moment I wanted to put this book down!!
- Bewitching and cryptic atmosphere - and just wait until you get to the cemetery and dreamworld part *shivers*
- Varen shows up very little on this installment but Oh my! how tantalizing and sinister his presence is! *more shivers* ~ for hotness and creepyness.
- Isobel is a very refreshing YA heroine. This girly and sweet cheerleader knows very well how to punch, but it is the pureness and innocence of her heart that makes her so strong, not the badass movements that we usually find in so many other YA lead females.
- Gwen! Isobel's best friend is more alive than ever. She is very close to jump out of the pages! Love her <3
- The Nocs (Devilish creatures) shows up in the real world bringing more than a creepy and scary dose!
- The ending, for me, was unsatisfying. Although when I turned the last page I was like... What the hell just happened?!! It is really chocking! but unfortunately there is no resolution and of course I wished I had more.
Macabre, bizarre, sinister and totally absorbing, Enshadowed is definitely an uncanny and dark addictive read that will haunt readers through the night. So don't wait any longer, and go pick it up as soon as it comes out!
Visit the author's website at http://www.kellycreagh.com